Most of us unknowingly clench our pelvic floor muscles. This could create a situation where you encounter back pain, pelvic pain, low ab strain, or hip pain. In order for the pelvic floor muscles to work better for us, we need to learn how to let them relax.
Here are some poses that you can get into to try and help those muscles relax.
You can stay in each pose as long as you like. While there, try to picture the hammock of muscles between your pubic bone in the front, and the two sits bones in the back sag down. With each breath in let the hammock sag, and while breathing out let the hammock sag and relax even more.
Here are 6 different positions to relax in and try to get your body to calm down.
1. 90/90 relax - Lie down and allow your entire lower leg to be supported by either a couch, bed, etc.
2. 90/90 frog relax - Same as above just allowing your knees to frog out while still completely supported.
3. Frog stretch - Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet on the floor together. Allow knees to fall open. You can support your knees with pillows if the stretch is too intense.
4. Knees fall in - Lie on your back with your knees bent and fee on floor wider than hip width apart. Allow your knees to fall in to touch each other.
5. Child's pose on fists - On your knees, bend at your hips and stack your fists on top of each other on the ground. Allow bum to relax to your heels and back to round.
6. Bum up (extended) child's pose - On your knees, bend at your hips and stack fists on top of each other on ground. Keep bum in air as you relax here.
Questions? Let me know!